A virtual cutting provision is permitted in grading D Select boards 10 feet and longer ONLY. This provision allows a grader to ignore an otherwise limiting defect for a D Select board if the following criteria is met:
- More than one defect may be permitted, but all defects must be contained within the 5% virtual cut.
- The defect must be located either within 5% of the length on the end OR in the middle portion of the piece leaving at least 3 feet of usable lumber at each end.
- The 5% cut shall be a cross-cut.
- Only one 5% cut provision may be used per board.
- The 5% cut is counted as 4 pin knots when determining the total number of pin knots allowed.
The following table lists the 5% provision for various board lengths:
|Length of Board||Length of 5% Provision|
Please refer to the image above for a visual interpretation of this provision.